A Monk's Tale

Repository of Sort Stories and Fiction from the Great Crusade
Johannes Gause

A Monk's Tale

Post by Johannes Gause » Thu May 10, 2018 7:12 am

The battle had been raging for three weeks now, the Imperial fleet locked in deadly combat with the forces of the so called Splinter Empire.
“Where is he? Are you sure he’s coming?” Asked Eckehard “He’s not renowned as the most reliable of your Brothers.”

Johannes studied the tactical readouts and the hololithic map display of the flagship's stratagem. “Have faith Steward, he gave his word, he will be here.” On the map in front of him, he watched as the enemy left flank moved to disengage and redeploy, to press the already beleaguered Silent Son’s fleet.

“Move up the 3rd destroy flotilla to prevent those ship moving away, we need to keep them concentrated in this sector.” In response to his orders a small group of blue icons moved in the direction of the retreating enemy ships. An hour later the reports started coming in, Resplendent Light-Lost, Might of Terra-Lost, Ghost of the Stars-Emergency Warp core dump. As he watched the ensuing skirmish, Johannes flinched with every Imperial loss.

“If he dosen’t arrive soon we will have to retire my lord. The fleet is beginning to take damage approaching severe levels.” Eckehard informed him. At that moment a comms officer approached with a look of confusion on his face. “We are picking up an usual transmission my Lord. It reads ‘Tally-Ho!’ Do you know what that means sire?”

Johannes breathed an internal sigh of relief, although he would never show any outward sign of concern, he had been personally worried that the promised flanking force wouldn’t materialise. “Fleet to go onto full attack, Admiral, coordinate joint offensive actions with the arriving fleet. It seems the cavalry have finally arrived.”
Johannes Gause, Primarch of the Harbingers, VI Legionnes Astartes.
"We are the watchers in the dark, the sword in the darkness, the shield that guards the realms of men."

Johannes Gause

Re: A Monk's Tale

Post by Johannes Gause » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 am

"For the Harbinger's, for the Primarch, for the Emperor!" Eckehard leapt out of the trench brandishing his Crozius Arcanum and bellowing for his squad to charge with him at the heavy weapon emplacements. As the marines dashed across the open ground, two Thanatar class siege robots in the black and green of the legion opened up with their plasma mortars to suppress the defenders.

Amid a hail of frag grenades the assault marines crashed through the enemy barricades and set about themselves with bolt pistols and chainswords, reducing the defenders to twitching corpses in moments. From within the central bunker of the compound a white flag was waving timidly from one of the windows. "Klaus, Hans, secure that bunker and take those men's surrender. The rest of you spread out and see if there is any intel here we can use."

Whilst the Astartes under his charge fanned out to carry out their tasks, Eckehard activated his comms device to central command. "Johannes, this is Eckehard. We have secured bunker 2463. Like the others it seems to have only a small garrison and be mainly automated defences." After a short pause the unmistakable voice of the Harbinger's Primarch responded.

"Understood Eckehard. Hold your position and cease advancing. i think we have found a weakness we can exploit in their systems. We are calling in some friends to see what they can do."

As the Mortarch ended the transmission, the steward of the Dead's attention was drawn upwards by the roar of giant Mechanicus heavy lift ships descending from orbit. Shortly afterwards, all resistance on the Fortress world ceased.
"We are the watchers in the dark, the sword in the darkness, the shield that guards the realms of men."

Johannes Gause

Post by Johannes Gause » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 pm

"Primarch" said Praxil, each syllable glottal and wet, as though spoken through water.

"Do not dare to address me abomination"

"Abomination?" hissed Praxil, shaking his head. "Don't you know who i am?"

"No." said Johannes. "You are no-one i recognize, and im here to kill you."

"You are wrong Primarch," he laughed. "I am the Emperor of the Praxil, a scion of humanity fighting to survive in this galaxy, that your so-called Allies have declared they will decimate."

Johannes approached the dais of the Emperor's throne and dragged his eyes from Praxil to the body of Klaus Reiner. Blood streamed from a terrible wound in his side, pumping energetically onto the stained floor of the throne room. The flesh of his throat was purple and black, a lump of broken bone pushing at the bruised skin where his neck had been snapped.

"A pity about Klaus," said Praxil. " He would of made a fine addition to my court."

"Do not utter his name," warned Johannes. "You are not fit to give it voice."

"If it consoles you, he was loyal to the end. I offered him a place at my side, with the power of our technology at his disposal, but he refused. He felt the need to try to kill me; foolish really. With the power that fills me he had no chance at all, but that didn't stop him. Admirable loyalty, even if it was misplaced."

Johannes placed a foot on the first step of the dais, his crystalline sword Callandor held out before him, his fury at the situation to which he had been forced drowning out all other concerns. All he wanted to do was was throttle the life from the bastard with his bare hands, but he retained enough sense to know that if Klaus had been killed which such apparent ease, then he would be a fool to discard his weapon.

"We don't have to be enemies Johannes" said Praxil. "you have no idea of the power we have here, it can fix your problem. Its like nothing you have seen before."

"It is powerful tech," agreed Johannes, climbing another step. "Heretical and therefore not to be trusted."

"Heretical? Perhaps, but it is far more than that." said Praxil. "it seethes with intelligence. You think it is a thing that bends you to its will, but you have no idea of the power that lies there: the power to cure, to repair, to dominate, to rule!"

"I have no desire for those things." said Johannes.

"You lie," spat Praxil. "I can see it in your eyes, Primarch. Your compassion for your sons and humanity is a potent thing. Do not be scared of it. Work with me and we can heal them. Working as allies we can be masters of the Galaxy together!"

"This galaxy already has a master," shouted Johannes as he leapt at Praxil to attack. "and he is called the Emperor!"

Johannes Gause

Post by Johannes Gause » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am

Johannes Gazed down through the vast view port onto the bluey-green world hanging is space before him. He could just make out the stains of war from this distance, it would likely have not been observable to a mortal eye, but he could just pick out the burnt out cities and trench-lined fields from this distance and the memory of what had transpired made him wince.

He thought back to a few weeks previous, it had all started so well. After a few months of talks with House Devine, they had finally allowed the Imperial delegation to land its 'honour guard'. It had been a calculated gamble of resources for Johannes, calling in the whole of Legio Ignatam "just to put on a display for the locals" as one Princeps had said to him with distaste, but if it brought back a world to mankind without the loss of life, it was worth the risk.

He remembered the looks of disdain on the haughty Knight pilot's faces turn to awe as the mighty landers of the Adeptus Mechanicus descended through the clouds and started to disgorge their god machines, warhorns sounding in salute to the assembled knight households drawn up to great them.

Shortly after that the talks had started to progress with speed, and by the time of his arrival, ranks of knights and Titans lined the processional from the space port in his honour as one.

But that was then. The Mortarch turned away from the viewport and the burning world below with a gloomy expression. Would it be like this on every world, would there be no peace amongst the stars, or would it just be an eternity of war?

Johannes Gause

Post by Johannes Gause » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:29 pm

"Thank you for the information Jean, I think that might make bringing this world to compliance more complicated than expected."

"What do you mean complicated?" interrupted Aligheiri, " The ladies here are great. So what if there have been a few scuffles here and there Jo, its good R&R for the lads!"

Johannes turned back to his brother lounging in the Command throne of the dubiously named 'Kiss My Arse!' "It is not your marines i am concerned about Aligheri, even if they have taken a surprising amount of injuries for a peaceful compliance. It is for those who come after us to administer on our departure that i worry."

"Just let my boys stay here, im sure they could guard the place perfectly well. If you can prise them away from the bars that is."

"Whilst im sure you men would discharge themselves with decorum if left to their own devices here, might i suggest another course. I think we should call in the Sisters of Silence."

Alighier immediately perked up with a big grim on his face. "The Sisters you say, i like where your thoughts are headed Jo."

Johannes sigh was almost imperceptible. "If you think you handle the sisters in that way my friend, you are welcome to try, but it might be the only time i ever place a wager. And it wouldn't be on you!"