Meanwhile at the Deflated Alligator.....

Repository of Sort Stories and Fiction from the Great Crusade
Alighieri
Meanwhile at the Deflated Alligator.....

Post by Alighieri » Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 pm

The Deflated Alligator was without doubt a dive. It did not appear in any good books not even the sections about place to avoid simply because anybody who saw it know it was a place to avoid. Nobles did not consider it a place to come to explore the darker side of life. Even the meanest and roughest scum of the Empire would go there - and then only to reassure themselves that somebody had it worse.

The two grubby figures hunched over a battered and dirty leaflet were regulars. One had a face that not even a mother could love while the other carried a card declaring him legally not a mutant. It might even have been true.

“I’m telling you – I saw 'em." It was a voice that matched the face. "They came in here, they were looking for passage into the Praxil Empire. Shipped out on the Barbary Bay. One of their regular trips carrying ‘Agricultural Machinery’”. The last words dripped with sarcasm.

“Well it isn’t them then is it.” Replied legally not a mutant. “Because you know and I know that if you ship out on the Barbary Bay then you’re cargo or spaced. Since we’ve got a picture of this fancy fella alive and well it’s clear he never set foot on the Barbary Bay!”.

“You say that. But you heard or seen anything of the Barbary Bay since they shipped out? Should have been back by now they should.”

“You think Old Captain Bay is stupid enough to take some giant shiny fella on onboard his ship? The man had a talent for spotting even the faintest hint of anything official.”

The two squinted in silence at the Imperial Propaganda leaflet about the battle for Praxil; staring at the smallest of the figures.