What I did on my......

Repository of Sort Stories and Fiction from the Great Crusade
Alighieri
What I did on my......

Post by Alighieri » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 pm

"I know I say this a lot - but this has to be your strangest idea yet."

"A promise is a promise." He responded in a lazy manner. "I said whoever got there first got the coconuts, no matter what Clique they were in and this is what I always meant.....". He gestured wildly; his arm encompassing the shining sea, the golden sand, the gently waving coconut trees. ".....by 'got the coconuts'. They got there first - there's no disputing that. Hard and fast combat drop through still functioning Orbital defences."

"Well yes but that's nothing to do with how quick they were. They happened to be on the Moons ...." His eyes glanced upwards as he hesitated over the following word. "recovering following the first Praxil action. They were just coming back to active service and ready to ship out. So when your orders came in they were closer. It has nothing to do with the personal speed - I mean they are just Dragoons. Surely you can see my concern....."

His statement was interupted by a combination of splashing and mechanical grinding as a number of Alighri guest pulled themselves up out of the sea and onto the beach.

"I LIVE TO SURF" The deep mechanical voice of a Dreadnaught rang out across the peaceful island startling a group of brightly coloured birds which leapt into the air squawking. A fully inflated Imperial Army inflatable emergency escape pod mark 4 (spherical) bounced of it's head and hurtled down the beach. With a whir the bulky mechnical figure turned and chased after the ball it’s mechanical legs pistoning, sending showers of sand into the air.

Alighieri grined his devil way care grin. "They earned this shore leave. They are clearing enjoying themselves. So what’s the problem? Everybody is going to get a turn. If anything it will just make the Daredevils try even harder next time. You know what there like."

The commander seemed thoughtful and changed the subject – as if conceding the point.

“Are you sure this is traditional beach wear?” he said gesturing upwards at the knotted loin cloth he had wrapped around his head.

“You know you worry to much. Shut up, go get me a Coconut, get your self one while your there and, for once, just relax and enjoy the moment.”

Jean-Armand strode off towards the pile of coconuts - and then without looking backwards hurled one wild and high over his shoulder. "That ones' yours!" He shouted followed by muttering under his breath "go get me a coconut."

Alighieri yanked the huntsman from where it was hanging on his sun bed and throw himself sideways into the sand. A single shot rang out and the coconut droped into the primarchs hand with it's top neatly blown off. The edges still slightly steaming. Alighieri lay on his back and lazily poured it into his mouth from a great height. Most of it missed, coating his face. He sat up sputtering "This ones all creamy!" he shouted back across the beach. Jean-Armand laughed, a deep, booming laugh and sipped at his own coconut, a look of contentment filled the wise old warriors face.