Sacrifice

Repository of Sort Stories and Fiction from the Great Crusade
Mar'Fett Dass
Sacrifice

Post by Mar'Fett Dass » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 pm

"My lord, the ships are ready."

Dass opened his eyes. The room was low lit, a relaxing shade reminiscent of Aran ambiance. The voice had a mechanical tinge to it.

"My lord?"

Dass rose from the pool in which he had been soaking. His body was lithe with several scars, well seen to and healed. As he stepped from the pool several Servitors skittered forward baring robes, quickly drying and dressing their master. The voice had come from a figure standing patiently to the side. Obviously one of the mechanicum, the Logic Lydos waited for his masters response.

"Open a Vox to the ships Lydos."

The logis moved to a nearby control panel, spitting forth some machine talk and picking up a vox unit. He returned to Dass, who took to unit and began to speak in soft tones.

"My sons, some of you may hate me for this. I am casting you into unknown space, after an enemy that took a great toll on our fleet. But you go on to serve the Crows in a greater place. Should you survive and return the crags of Aran, you shall be held high above others. Elite, chosen. You shall be the Icon held up before our children and our childrens children. And no Arani could ask for anything higher than that."

Dass silenced the unit, and turned to Lydos.

"Order the ships launched through the gateway."

============================

"My lord, a matter has arisen that requires your attention."

Dass looked up from the display. Lydos stood there hand s held across his chest in rest. Behind him stood three Marines, one held in chains between the others. Dass looked quizzically at Lydos.

"It would appear that this one had designs on your life and position. He was found tampering with one of your personal servitors, attempting to rig a small explosive device that would have covered everyone nearby in a corrosive when it was set off. Fortunately his paltry attempts at artificery tripped one of the alarm systems you had me install."

Dass sighed and beckoned the marines to bring him forward.

"Was your plan to harm me with the corrosive so that you could gain an advantage? Come into my chamber shortly after to finish me off?"

The captive nodded, eyes cast down.

"A fine attempt. The meat of it was thought through. You have to kill me yourself, else there would be confusion and others might claim my seat rather than yourself. So you conspire to blind me, maim me, that way much of my advantage in a one on one fight is removed. It might even have worked. But you failed to anticipate countermeasures. As soon as Lydos brought those servitors aboard I had some anticipation of an event like this."

Dass moved over to a high backed chair nearby, taking a seat and pondered the captive for a moment.

"I'll give you 3 options. Option 1, you can attempt to fight me now. Just ourselves, a pair of knives, no armour. If you win, you get the Crows. If you lose, not only will you die but your children will die too. Option 2, you will be crucified on the main deck. Our best apothecaries will work on you for 5 days and nights, keeping you alive and in as much pains as possible. If you last those 5 days without uttering a sound, then your children will be allowed to live, and only you will die. Option 3, you will be hobbled, maimed, blinded and your tongue put out. Your children will be slaughtered. But you will live, a plaything of this ship and an example for others.

So, what will you choose?"

=======================
"The ships are about to make the transition."

Dass watched the display. A full 10th of the fleet force glided towards the gateway.

"Transitioning in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... Transition complete."

The Primarch observed the searing light as the ships swiftly disappeared to space unknown. It truly was a thing of beauty. The moment now passed, he turned from the display back towards his chambers.

"Open fire."

Plasma and light lanced through space towards the gateway. It withstood a suprising amount of force before its housing cracked, the leashed forces of the warp finally free to take their revenge on the frame that chained it. The pieces folded in on themselves and disappeared.

"Warp Gate destroyed."

On a monitor of the bridge, a figure is being nailed up to a crossbar while robed figures arrange needles and probes before him. Words have been inscribed on a plaque above his head.

Servo legatum meum silentio nostro