Meanwhile On Praxil

Repository of Sort Stories and Fiction from the Great Crusade
Alighieri
Meanwhile On Praxil

Post by Alighieri » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:46 am

Sargent Enoch knew just how much Power armour ensured a proper stiff posture – even an at ease stance communicated proper military bearing. Which made it more impressive just how much the scarlet figure was managing to lean indolently against their Jet Bike. Those of the Legions were superhuman, capable of feats no more mortal could match; apparently for the XVIII legion that talent extended to slouching. Because no mere human could have communicated just how unimpressed they were by the figures standing in front of them just by the slope of their shoulders. His helmet was handing from the handlebars of their Jet Bike, and he was eating an apple.

“In the Emperors Name We Are Gathered!” The approaching unit barked in union, following up the formal greeting with a crisp salute.

“Whatcha”. Came the reply which was certainly not on the list of appropriate response.

“We are here to bring compliance to this Municipality of Habitations. Thank you for holding the perimeter. We will take it from here.”

“They’ve surrendered to me”.

“Who has?”

“They have. The Whole Town.”

“The Municipality of Habitations has surrendered to you and your unit? Very well then we will carry out the required deci......”

The Scarlet figure cut him off, “No not to my unit. - They’ve surrendered to me.” He left the obvious question hanging.

“Where is the rest of your unit?”

“I told them to go further down the road to ensure that every Municipality of Habitations in this sector surrendered before you could get there.... That said – they are XVIII legion; so, who knows that they actually did. I mean they could have decided that protecting me was more important then what I’d told them to do. Gone out of my sight and then circled back round – ready to roar down if I’m in any danger. It’s what I’d have done if I was them – but then I’m officer material....” That statement seemed to create an unbridgeable chasm of understanding between the members of the two legions.

The scarlet figure carried on “Anyway – they’ve surrendered to me – which means no decimations. We don’t do that.”

“We are happy to do it...for.....you......” Sergeant Enoch’s voice trailed off as the face of the figure in front of him showed quite how badly that suggestion was going down.

“Sorry no. My Primarch was very clear – he said ‘Go My Children Unto Praxil And Bring These Lost Sons Of Terra Under Your Wings So That They May Know My Fathers Light’”.

The Sargent could smell something off so said nothing but the line troopers were a little more Trusting that all Primarchs were as proper as their own so one of them walked right into and asked “Really?”

“No. Not really. But that’s what I’m sure he meant when he shouted at us ‘Move it or I’ll have your Coconuts’.”

In the silence that followed another of his Line Troopers pointed something out to Enoch.

“You said they’ve surrendered.”

The XVIII legionnaire nodded.

“So why are they still flying the Praxil Flag, the road is barricaded, and there are people in Praxil Defence League uniforms waving guns?”

“Ahhhh so you noticed that? Welllllll it’s a cunning disguise to ensure that the Praxil military don’t consider them traitors and purge them.” He almost sounded like he believed that.....

Something rocketed out of the town and a nearby tree exploded. Sending a shower of smoke and splinters over them.

“Oh I see they’ve started the fireworks early?” The XVIII legionnaire tried gamely – before hurling his apple away and jamming his helmet back on. “Ok I’ll come clean they’ve not actually surrendered yet but I’m sure there close to it. Just give me a couple of days and we can end this......”

“Forward.” The curt command indicated just how much the Sargent was done with this nonsense. They advanced towards the town, the inexorable wave of the Emperors Judgement, bringing with the Decimation that the law required.

The crimson figure leaned back on the bike – his helmet camera sharing this footage to his battle brothers scattered across the Sector. Footage of the battle and massacre following would be very useful to them. Just the thing to convince some people that surrendering to the XVIII was the best option. Its us or the XI – and after seeing this nobody is going to want it to the XIth.