Beachhead at Talon Reach

Repository of Sort Stories and Fiction from the Great Crusade
Aristarchus
Beachhead at Talon Reach

Post by Aristarchus » Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 pm

“Helm reports warp jump successful.”

“Auspex reports fleet has translated safely.”

“Comms established with fleet and ships are moving to engage grot outriders.”

Captain Glaucus leaned back in his secondary command throne and looked across to the central command throne which was occupied by his Primarch and tuned out the reports being called out by his subordinates as they continued to report the successful translation of the Lore Wardens fleet. His eyes took in the Obsidian black skin of Aristarchus’s face showing above the bronze coloured Terminator armour that encased the Primarch’s body but, as always, his attention was drawn to his Primarch’s eyes which were a pure jade green orb with no sign of any blemish.

Aristarchus was listening to the communications ringing out across the bridge, he turned to his fleet captain. “Your entry to real space has been exemplary captain as I would expect from the Lore Wardens.” His voice carrying through the noise of the bridge so that all of those serving there could hear him. “Drive the greenskins from this sector of space, I shall retire to my ready room to await communications from my Brothers upon their arrival.”

The Lore Wardens fleet drove into the initial wave of Grot ships the Battle Cruiser ‘Inevitable’ serving as the Legions flagship as it had on numerous occasions. The ramshackle armour of the greenskin’s smaller ships serving as little protection against the superior firepower of the Imperial vessels. Thousands of the diminutive creatures were thrust into space as their ships were cored by macro cannons or obliterated as the lance batteries on the Astartes vessels focused on them.

Within his ready room Aristarchus was keeping an eye on the fleet battle occurring in the vacuum outside the ship but most of his attention was on the holo projector where his Brothers would appear when their fleets left the warp and normal communications would be established. He reached out with his mind into the warp but was unable to sense the wake of any ships incoming. The comm link chirped in the arm of his chair signalling a message from the bridge. “My Primarch we are now approaching the main bulk of the greenskin fleet are we waiting for the Deathwalkers or are we pressing the assault?”

Aristarchus reached out into the warp feeling for any sign of incoming Imperial ships and all he could sense was the presence of the massive Greenskin fleet in front of them. “No one is coming Captain, we fight this horde on our own. Let us show them why the Sons of Gidemos are to be feared.”
Primarch of the Lore Wardens, Guardian of the Knowledge, Wielder of the Burning Book.
"They actually thought that would work against us. Interesting."

Aristarchus

Re: Beachhead at Talon Reach

Post by Aristarchus » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:01 pm

“Deathwalker and Storm Jaw fleets confirm they have engaged the orbital hulks, our rear is secure my Primarch.” Captain Glaucus reported. “The fleet in front of us is causing damage but we are pressing them back towards the planet.” Aristarchus focused on the auspex table in front of him. “This does not seem to be a standard greenskin tactic Glaucus. Be prepared for the unexpected.”

Glaucus reviewed the same central table as his Primarch, the superior Lore Warden abilities had forced the greenskins back into a defensive posture and the fleet was surging forward hungrily to finish them. Several Ork ships disappeared from the auspex in a flare of warp energy “They are running sir we must finish those we ca...” Glaucus trailed off as the same ships appeared trailing warp residue as they came back into real space in a dangerous flanking position of the legion’s fleet.

The newly appeared ships opened fire into the sides of the legion ships, their crude weapons proving effective against the weakly shielded quarters of the imperial vessels several of which went critical and exploded before any reaction was possible. Captain Glaucus started to send orders out across the fleet keeping his calm despite the rapid change in situation “All vessels balance shields, reserve vessels fill that gap in our flank. All captains stay alert they have the ability to move rapidly and can appear at any location.” More of the Ork ships flickered out of real space in bursts of warp energy from the fleet ahead.

Aristarchus reached out with his mind to his two Magisses Paragons “Leander, Sophus I can see a way to hold open these breaches the greenskins are making. Confirm that you can see it to.” He felt the mind of Atripo Magisses Paragon Leander reach back to him. “Their work is crude my Primarch, I can have my Atripo’s hold their gates open.” Followed quickly by Phylir Magisses Paragon Sophus “I concur with my brother, I shall ready the Phylir squads.”

With the Lore Wardens fleet drawing into a defensive formation and the greenskin’s ships jumping around using the warp breaches to appear where any gaps were forming the initiative was rapidly falling away from the Imperials, their ships being pressed closer together unable to control the battlefield. Aristarchus turned to the commander of his fleet “Captain Glaucus inform the fleet to prepare for the Tasichak manoeuvre.” He then reached out to all the Magisses in the fleet who had yet to attain the third level of mastery “My brothers initiate the Tasichak protocol.”

Across the greenskin fleet their ships started to be pushed by immense invisible forces, their engines strained against it, but their courses became straight and predictable as they were pushed out of the way of the Imperial fleet which surged forward and out of the middle of the greenskin fleet. “Bring the fleet around and lay into the greenskins.” Captain Glaucus ordered. “Destroy them.” The guns of the Lore Wardens laid into the greenskins destroying large numbers of their ramshackle vessels, the remainder started to rout, the flares of warp energy forming around the ships to speed their escape.

Aristarchus felt his Magisses Paragons order their squads to hold the gates open “Captain follow the xenos through the gates and obliterate their fleet.”

“Yes my Primarch, forming warp gate to follow.” Glaucus turned to his crew to give the order.

“Through their gate Captain” Aristarchus ordered “We will overshoot if we use our own.”

Glaucus gave the order to the fleet and turned to his Primarch speaking in a quiet voice so no one else could hear “My Primarch without our warp engines firing we will not have the Gellar fields at full power during warp travel.”

“It is only a short jump Captain. We are the Sons of Gidemos whatever awaits us will not stop us destroying our target.”

The Lore Warden fleet passed through the warp gates, only partially protected, in pursuit of their foe.
Primarch of the Lore Wardens, Guardian of the Knowledge, Wielder of the Burning Book.

Aristarchus

Re: Beachhead at Talon Reach

Post by Aristarchus » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:43 pm

The battle in space had been won by the fleet of the Imperium and their forces rained down onto the surface of Garo. Wave after wave of drop pods and stormbirds streamed out of the combined fleets of the three legions the sheer number of vessels filling space looking like chaff when the light of the system’s star caught them. Rather than being inert pieces of metal however each of these flashes of light held Space Marines who were on route to bring the world of Garo to compliance.

On the surface the greenskins raced towards where the imperial forces were landing their crude vehicles throwing up a dust cloud which hid their numbers and the surrounding area.

Aristarchus reclined into his chair in his ready room onboard the Inevitable. The memory foam holding his body in place so that he felt weightless and removed from all physical contact. He looked inside himself and then out, reaching his mind to all the Magisses squads on the planet below him and formed a complete psychic command and control link to all the Lore Wardens deployed in the field. With the links established he passed field command to his Magisses Paragons Leander and Sophus and drawing the scout’s reports to mind reached out towards the Ork Horde.

Surging green energy lashed out at Aristarchus as soon as he focused his mind towards the greenskins, but it proved no threat to his mental shields at the outer part of the horde, his inner eye could see that the energy was much stronger towards the middle of the horde however and that is where he would have to focus to enact his plan.

On the plains of the planet the greenskins were shooting their sidearms at the incoming Imperial forces mostly to enjoy the noise but their larger weapons were proving a threat as several drop pods were shot out of the sky by lucky shots from heavier weaponry.

Aristarchus drove his mind into the centre of the Ork horde and caught the attention of the Weirdboyz who were driving the energy behind this part of the Ork forces. They lashed out with all their power at the Primarch who felt several of his mental shields shatter and dissolve into nothingness. Aristarchus repaired those shields still standing and pushed back against the shamans drawing all their focus into the psychic battle against him.

Feeling the attention of the Ork Weirdboyz leave them the Magisses squads on the planet reached deep and unleashed their powers onto the greenskins surging towards them. Walls of fire raced over their vehicles causing some to explode but most raced onwards, the surviving occupants laughing as others fell off the vehicle burning alive. Sheets of ice formed on the ground causing the drivers of other vehicles to skid and crash into each other. Then the fire in the air caught the dust clouds which had been driven up by the oncoming vehicles.

Huge fire storms rolled across the plains driving the Orks into narrow ravines, most other forces would have been broken by the air being on fire but the toughness of the greenskin enabled them to drive forwards if they avoided the worst of the storms.

The psychic blows of the greenskin shamans drove in on Aristarchus his mental shields all but spent and his body suffering psychosomatic wounds with blood flowing out of his nose, mouth and eyes while his bones started to break in sympathy to the wounds suffered in the psychic battle.

The Orks raced forward through the fire storms those at the front coming to the edge where the heat was less intense, and they could almost see their foes.

The last of Aristarchus’s shields fell and the greenskin shamans lashed out directly into his mind causing massive damage. His body screamed in agony as he felt his very being starting to be pulled apart.

The first of the Orks broke through the edge of the firestorm expecting to cover more of the plains to reach the Lore Wardens so were caught off guard when the rushed straight into the ambushing force of the Storm Jaws. The assault of several Hapus of the Storm Jaws broke the front of the Orks assault and drove them back into the onrushing horde with many xenos falling and being crushed underfoot by the onrushing greenskins. The assault faltered and turned into a rout.

The greenskin shamans were thrown off by the sudden change in the Waaaagh energy they were throwing at Aristarchus. Sensing a small window of opportunity Aristarchus threw his remaining strength at the shamans while they were distracted.

On the planet the Magisses felt the power of their Primarch switch to the offensive and, freed from dealing with the Ork horde, combined their power with the head of their legion.

In their factories, in their crude tents and in their circles the heads of every Weirdboy on the plains exploded, leaving the green energy which was covering the area to gutter and die.